Unity: A Path for Spiritual Living
– Founded at the turn of the 20th century by Charles and Myrtle Fillmore, Unity is based on spiritual healing using positive prayer and the practice of the presence of Spirit.
– Unity Community of Central Oregon, was founded in 2001 and is dedicated to sharing a message of personal and planetary spiritual transformation.
– Unity is a positive, practical, progressive approach to Spirituality based on unchanging spiritual laws and principles. We do not preach a story (such as Christianity) but rather draw from the great stories and spiritual teachers of all time to convey the life changing power of putting spiritual truth into action.
– We practice and demonstrate the power of positive prayer.
– Unity honors the universal truths in all religions and respects each individual’s right to choose a spiritual path.
– Unity is a center of spiritual light for people of the world. We are dedicated to letting this light shine so brightly that people become more aware of their spiritual nature and express it in their daily lives.
Unity Community of Central Oregon is a member of Unity Worldwide Ministries.
A Brief History of Unity
Our parent organization of Unity began as a prayer group in the 1890’s by Charles and Myrtle Fillmore in Kansas City, MO. Myrtle had healed herself from chronic tuberculosis through prayer and positive thinking which she had learned from classes taught by Dr. E.B. Weeks… and because of her amazing results, others wanted to learn this method. Although Charles had no intention of making Unity into a denomination, their students wanted a more organized group. He and his wife were among the first ordained Unity ministers in 1906. Unity began a formal program for training ministers in 1931 and Unity Village is now located on 1200 acres 15 miles SE of Kansas City and has hundreds of centers and study groups across the U.S and the world. Today the Unity Movement has two branches headquartered in Lee’s Summit, MO:
Unity World Headquarters that serves spiritual seekers and Unity constituents through prayer support (Silent Unity), publications, education, retreats, events, and online resources.
Unity Worldwide Ministries that serves Unity ministers and leaders, Unity spiritual communities and other ministries, providing program materials, resources, and educational initiatives.
Our Local Community
Our Unity Community was founded in Bend in 2001 by Rev. Teri Hawkins and her husband, Steve, along with a group of 20 founding members. We met in several different locations in Bend over the years and in 2018 we moved to our current location at 63645 Scenic Drive. Rev. Jane Hiatt took over as senior minister in 2011 when Rev. Teri made the decision to retire.
Over the last number of years, we have seen a steady growth in membership and engagement. We have about 150 members and many regulars who participate on Sunday mornings or in any one of our many groups, classes and programs.
Besides Rev. Jane, we have multiple ministers with various ordinations, who serve our community. Rev. Jim Pasmore, Rev. Robin Payne Ryan, Rev. Dick Wolgamott, Rev. Jill Gwen, Rev. Tamera Schmidt, Rev. Donna Wolf, Rev. Gail Jett, and Rev. Patricia Nelson are all active members of our community, serving in a variety of ways. Additionally, our spiritual guidance team includes Religious Science practitioners Lynne Zuckerman and Suzanne LeMagie, a team of prayer chaplains and prayer councilors. We also have nearly two dozen individuals who are exploring becoming licensed Unity leaders.
Our community is mission centric. That means we are focused on embodying love and awakening spiritual consciousness and we allow the means to doing that evolve, giving us a feeling of aliveness rather than rigid attachment to forms or individuals.
What We Believe
Our name says it all… UNITY! We believe that ALL people are created with sacred worth and therefore we use timeless spiritual teachings, drawing from various traditions, ancient and contemporary, to show how the Spirit of Love connects and directs all life.
The five basic ideas that make up the Unity belief system are:
– There is only one power and one presence in all the Cosmos. You might call this presence God, Higher Power, Source, All That Is, Spirit, Vibration, Light, Creator, Mystery, etc… it does not matter. This Unnameable Quantum Force is palpable. It transcends, infuses, expresses as, and emanates from all that exists and all that may exist.
– Because this Force expresses as us, we are more than we appear to be. We are spiritual emanations of the Light.
– We create our life experiences through our consciousness. Our thinking results in beliefs about what is possible. Beliefs lead to actions. We can change our lives by changing our thinking.
– Prayer is a radical technology for changing our consciousness. It is not a way to change God’s mind, but to align our own minds with Divine Truth.
– Knowledge of these spiritual principles is not enough. We must live them.